Thursday, February 01, 2007

Insights from Bethpage

I took a few days to myself this week. Really needed it. People today are way too busy. Christians should be the best at rest. Not laziness mind you, but rest. It is a sin not to rest. Resting puts God back in control (not that he ever wasnt). There has to be time when we stop creating, stop fighting to get ahead, stop doing. A time when God is simply God and we enjoy that. We listen for a change. We reflect. We stare blankly. We acknowledge publicly through the act of rest that we trust Jesus more than ourselves. That he is in control not me. I say to the world, and myself, that I am human and not divine. I need to know that. I confess him with my mouth and live in my professional hypocrisy.

Here are a few things that came to mind this week as I rested. I might elaborate on them further at some point. Maybe not.

1. Godliness doesnt come easy.
2. Godliness is not an accident- it is worked for.
3. Grace accompanies repentance.
4. Honesty is crucial.
5. Study Hard, Pray Harder.
6. Hebrews 10:22-23
7. God does hear us and he desires that we hear him.

Might I suggest that in the next couple weeks, sooner than later you take some time to stop. You dont have to go anywhere or do anything, just rest. Rest from TV, from too much food, from spending money, from work-even from play. Enjoy a long hot shower. Take a walk. Make your self a cup of tea in a kettle and not the microwave. Listen. Found out what silence sounds like again. Its a scary thing...and like the rest of God it is good.

No comments: